Monday, April 20, 2009

BREAK: Down:Out:Through

It's been a while, huh? First, let me thank ya'll for not leaving mocking comments after my last post-- because yes, it was totally going to happen that I was going to spend the morning with John Harper and two 2 year olds and they were going to try on clothes and let me take their pictures. Yes, of course. Although that morning actually went amazingly well, later that day I hit one of those little roadblocks that life throws up periodically, and spent the rest of the week rubbing my figuratively goose-egged head and feeling sorry for myself. But that has passed, and I'm happy to be back behind the camera and the sewing machine. And the computer, of course. Here are our seedlings-- aren't they wonderful? They are growing like crazy, and keep flinging bits of dirt out of the shells as they burst through with such force. I don't really have words for how much I love plants-- only a little bit less than my children. I'm hoping to get these in the ground in a week or so-- the big guys up front are peas for our vine-covered teepee. If anybody has done anything like that before, clue me in. We bought a willow frame thingy and I'm debating if I should do some sweet potato vines, as well? One of Grady's favorite poems is "The Butterbean Tent" from our ancient Childcraft Mother Goose, and we are going to try our best to replicate it (I will blog about that book some day. The 1953 edition; it is one of my all-time favorite books.)
Look at this beauty-- old, old iris that I dug out from the undergrowth in Durham. I began with a pailful-- they multiply by about 50% every year, and I'm ready to dig and share with the neighbors this year. I've never grown lilac before-- this one is right by the garden gate. Spy the bee in there? We are fascinated with bees around here. I so wish I had a few more hours in the day and a few more hands-- I would definitely get a hive for our backyard.And my final note of optimism-- 20 yards of new elastic. I find that I get much more into the pants-making when I'm freshly stocked. And some new fabric for my Moby Cozies-- because who wants to lug around 5 yards of jersy knit in your purse? I'm gifting all my preggo friends with a Moby and a Cozie to match. And Amy Butler and Heather Bailey are cross-polinating like mad in the studio these days. Can't wait to see what this week will bring!

2 comments:

Joy said...

I have 2 lilac cuttings sitting in rooting hormone and water right now. I'm desperately hoping to have a couple of lilac bushes over here. And ummm...I know a neighbor a little further down the road who thinks that iris is gorgeous. :)

PS. Here's the blog for The Simple Woman's Daybook if you ever want to participate. http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

anellesgardening said...

Hey, I've been wondering how you've been doing, where you've been. I'm jealous of your seedlings. My cucumbers and squash didn't survive the transplant...not sure what I'm going to do yet. I love the tee-pee idea...I might steal that next year when Kieran is slightly more coherent. I think sweet potato vines would be awesome on it!