Thursday, February 11, 2010

The. Doughnut. Muffin. Oh, Lordy.

Late one night, I had a hankering for something sweet.  Like, really sweet.  And cakey.  Moist, too.  Not chocolate.  Spicy, maybe.  But not cake.  So what I needed was a super-sweet non-cakey moist vanilla muffin.  What do to, what to do? 
image via flickr
What did I do?  I did doughnut.  Doughnut Muffin, that is.  I first read about this little morsel of heaven on Heather's lovely blog, Beauty That Moves.  It sounded good.  So I made some.  I was awfully silly and tried to use a mix of whole wheat and whole wheat pastry flour, I skimped on the sugar, and cut the butter in half.  Silly, silly, me.  One must never do these things when making Doughnut Muffins.  One must follow the recipe.  The one I chose, this recent night, to follow, was this one, from Orangette

And I'm here to tell you friends, it is good.  Very, very good.  If you are someone who is concerned with nuances like fat grams, calories, nutritional value, sugar content and possibly-larger-than-trace-amounts of transfats, just skip on over this post and go enjoy something good for you, like a green smoothie.  If, however, you don't always care to trouble yourself with such matters, forge on ahead.  I've found you can half the butter in the actual muffins, but do not (DO NOT) skimp on the butter and sugar coating.  In fact, you kinda might want to double what she calls for.  Not that I've tried it (she says, fiddling with the suddenly too-tight trouser button...), but I think it might be good. 

Off to try and borrow a blood glucose monitor, and possibly a little insulin...

2 comments:

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

oh, YUM!

Haven and Home said...

Drooling! I love a good doughnut or any fried pastry!