Thursday, April 22, 2010

Room for everybody...

I showed you our sweet little playhouse a couple of days ago.  It's currently filled with those weird Astroturf-covered tables and a lot of toxic yard chemicals from my pre-organic gardening days.  Both are going away this weekend.

I want our (tiny) backyard to be a magical place.  We're working now to get the edibles in place, and I have plans for a big sand-pit with slide for the kiddies next to my "rustic" patio.  (By the way, level surfaces are highly over-rated.  Right?) 
I want to roast marshmellows, swing in a hammock, sit on the playhouse porch in adirondack chairs drinking rootbeer, run through the sprinkler, have plasma car races around the tricycle track.
I don't see any reason why the playhouse has to be just for the kiddos.  I would love to have an outdoor room that we could all use.  I've got a cute spindle bed that I'm going to attempt to make into a daybed-- complete with pouffy tufted mattress and some mosquito net.  Adam and I joke about having a "farm in Africa" some day--so until that day, I will have a playhouse in the backyard with mosquito netting. And cocktails. Served on a campaign table. By lantern light. Mmmm--- summer...

3 comments:

Lacey (schoolhousefarm) said...

oh. you have such a vision, I can't wait to see what comes.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Your beautiful style has inspired me to try to be more creative in my decorating (well, creative for me at least). Last night I couldn't sleep for thinking about fun things that I want to do. I'll bet you can relate.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful spot - I have often dreamed of making our narrow urban lot into a very special children's place, but am not sure how to do it yet... I'll have to factor the adults in now too.