Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Bathroom Remodel-- Inspiration

The context:
We found and purchased our home in the fuzzy, sleep-deprived months following the birth of a colicky new baby.
 

  On the day we made the offer (which, incidentally, was the day we saw the house for the first time) I remember very vividly searching frantically in the console of the car--when Adam asked me what I was doing,  I replied, oh, so logically  "I'm looking for the remote so I can mute the baby to call the realtor!" . Lesson learned-- do not impulse purchase a home when low on sleep.


The kitchen and two of the bathrooms were-- well, not good. But somehow I heard the words coming out of my mouth "we'll just re-do them-- that's not a huge deal."

It's a good thing I really love my neighborhood, because I am here to tell you-- it IS a huge deal to renovate an old house. A really huge deal. And so we put it off for 4 years, waiting for time and money to appear.


We decided to start with the upstairs bathroom-- a tiny 8x8 room with a peeling fiberglass tub, stick-on vinyl floor and hideous 1980's lighting. In my head, though, it looked like the images above. The planning and ordering and organizing began, and pretty soon the guest room was filled with the makings of a bathroom just waiting to be transformed.


I'm here to give the low-down dirty on
My Old House: Bathroom Edition. 

Tune in tomorrow for a sneak-peek!
all images found here

2 comments:

Joy said...

Well, what's in your head is certainly beautiful. I can't wait to see what you came up with. :)

René said...

Well if these images are any indication, your bathroom must be gorgeous. Thank you for the sweet comment today Melissa.