Monday, March 8, 2010

Cue the theme song from "Sanford and Son"...

Warning:  this is not a pretty post!   I've come to the realization that if I wait for the finished product to be beautifully styled in my home before blogging about it, ya'll will never hear from me again. So I'm blogging in medias res... here goes.

This is my front porch as of this afternoon.  Eeeek.   I'm sorry to even post something so awful looking (just imagine how my neighbors feel!)  but this is what's really going on at my house right now.  Now just imagine how wonderful the "afters" are going to look next to this! 

Remember my lamp?  I've gotten it all painted up-- I'm not sure how I feel about the black.  I didn't like the way it looked when the coat of white primer was on it, so I decided to go black, to match a cabinet I'm working on for the room where it's intended. 
We'll see.  That's the beautiful thing about paint.  You don't like it-- just re-spray.  That's me:  single-handedly destroying the ozone layer one can of Krylon at a time...

This paint, by the way, is very cool.  It's a Valspar high gloss laquer spray paint-- a different finish from a regular high-gloss.  It's much shininer, has better coverage, and seems super-durable (judging by how it's holding up to me accidentally banging into the un-poly-ed pieces...)    This cool little cabinet is going to serve as a bar in our dining room.  The bar in our living room is a total pain to open up, and I love the height of this for mixing drinks.  The back is to be replaced with more wire mesh to accommodate a heating vent that will be behind it, and the inside will be painted peacock blue (my favorite color these days!)  Since it is SUNNY, WARM AND IN THE 60'S HERE (can you feel my excitement vibrating through the computer screen!!!!!) I'm going to be doing a bunch of DIY projects that have been on the back burner during our freezing, wet, snowy winter.   Here's to hoping that I have something to show you every day-- I'll drink to that!

5 comments:

Lacey (schoolhousefarm) said...

oh, i so know this feeling! It even makes the in-door handiworks more prolific! If only I could sew outside...

Anonymous said...

My project room looks like someone threw up in it. I just can't bring myself to take pictures of it! Happy DIY in the SUNNY weather! :) It started raining here today. :(

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

Love the use of "In medias res!" Last time I used that one was in a class about the Epic genre!

The black really makes the green pop. You might like it once it's inside. And thanks for the tip on paint! I will soon be spray painting a few things around here...

Joy said...

It's all looking so fabulous! Creative spaces are supposed to be messy. You cannot be clean and creative at the same time...just not possible!

paula said...

I can't wait to see it all in place. great pieces.