Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Favorite Cookie

I'm battling a really nasty summer cold right now (the pits!) and was feeling in need of a little comfort munchie.  These ginger cookies, found years and years ago in a Martha Stewart Living, are my all-time favorite cookie.  They are sweet, spicy, cake-like, with the tiniest hint of crunch as you bite into the sugar-coated crust. 
Make. Eat. Enjoy.

Ginger Cookies
 adapted from Martha Stewart
2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
2 1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 T ground ginger
1/2 t. allspice
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 c firmly packed light-brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 c (2 sticks) plus 2 T. unsalted butter
1 egg
6 T. unsulfured molasses
1/2 cup sanding (or granulated) sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk together flour, soda, salt and spices; set aside.
In bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugars and butter.  Beat on high spead until fluffy-- about 5 minutes.  Beat in egg and molasses.  Add the flour mixture, mix just to combine.
Form into a ball, wrap in plastic, and chill 2 hour (or overnight).

Line baking sheet with parchment (I used Silpat mats.)Form dough into 1 inch balls, roll each ball in sanding sugar. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet, and flatten each cookie slightly with the palm of your hand.

Martha says bake for 10-12 minutes.  I find that I like the cookies best if they bake for 6-8 minutes.  See which is your favorite.
PS-- we cut white sugar from our baking about a year ago.  I used turbinado and everything turned out dandy.  I was out of my whole wheat pastry flour, but you could sub 1 c. w.w. pastry (do use the rest of the flour as white flour, though) and it would be equally yummy. 

PPS-- don't forget about the giveaway!  Deadline is Friday!

1 comment:

Lacey (schoolhousefarm) said...

I've always wanted a ginger cookie recipe & I've been craving a new kind...thanks!