Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Boys' Room, Part I

So, the shell of the boys' room is finished-- what a project!

There are a few more details to add--3/4 round at the baseboards, cleanign up some slips around the window trim, perhaps some crown moulding, but the walls, trim and floor are finito.  And luckily, I really, really still like the colors.  My "custom" mix on the walls was colormatched in porch paint for the floors.  The trim is another "custom" mix-- some more mis-tint in a shade of blue-grey mixed with "Slipstream" from Martha, which looked too blue on its own.

I learned some things about painting floors-- hopefully I'll be an expert soon, because I have two more rooms, a hallway and a staircase to go...
Here are some tidbits I learned about painting wooden floors-- you really should give it a try.  Whole lotta bang for your buck, for sure.
* Start with a room that you don't use frequently.  I felt a lot of pressure to get this job finished since my boys (and all their stuff) were bunking in the guest room while I painted.  I cut a few corners along the way, but, being me, I couldn't stand it and then went back to fix them, taking twice as much time as slow and steady would have taken in the first place.  I wish I'd exercised my learning curve on the guest room, instead, to take my time and get the hang of things.
* I used a semi-gloss porch paint with a coat of poly on top.  It's pretty slippery, but already feels like it's getting some "grip" as we walk (and run!) on it.  With two active boys, I think the poly really is a must-do, but for a less-traveled space, a high-gloss porch paint probably would have been fine. 
*I used Verithane, which is supposed to dry completely clear.  On our floors, which are around 70 years old, and a little uneven, it apparently slid and pooled a bit, leaving a few yellow patches that need to be sanded down and re-coated.  If you are painting an old floor (and how many folks contemplating painting a wood floor are living in brand-spanking-new home?),you may want to weigh your type-A tendancies versus your desire to see your family some time in the next decade...
* A final note--painting floors in a home with pets will tax even the most laid-back home improver.  We have a (big, black, medium-coat) dog, and despite multiple vaccuumes, sweeps, and swipes with baby wipes prior to painting, there are more than a few dog hairs on that floor.  I have to say that by the time I painted myself out the door after each coat, I was more than a little frustrated.  So, there you have it, and do with it what you will...

As for me and my house-- well, we will paint the floors.

1 comment:

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

Love the colors! Very calming...