Tuesday, October 26, 2010

{Perhaps} I've lost my ever-lovin' mind...

Cottage Living
I've thought and thought and thought and thought about how to make our kitchen work for us until we can do the full overhaul. 
We hope to do that project some time in the next 3-5 years, hopefully closer to 3, but since it involves some MAJOR structural work (removing what used to be the back wall of the house, no biggie!!)  I must content myself with something a tad more-- ahem-- reasonable. 
We had a few needs-- a space for the boys to play while I cook, and especially an indestructable place for them to do art.  Several months ago, I began searching for a Saarinen table for the room-- given shipping costs and size constraints, I quickly gave up on getting a "real" one, even a vintage formica one from Ebay.  And so the Ikea Docksta-- $179-- came to live with us.

Indestructable it is not-- or maybe it's just that our watercolor paints are the most staining thing on earth.  But it is pretty tough, and I like it a lot.  I've been looking for some seating to go with for a while now.

Mary McDonald
After trying some different chair options, I decided that a banquette would be the way to go.  But the cheapest option I could find was this one, from Ballard, starting at $349 plus shipping. 

And so (natch) I put on my thrifty little thinking cap-- and found this beautiful thing at the Habitat store for $20.




Salvaged restaurant booth--it is ugly in a way that I cannot even describe.  So ugly, in fact, that I had to use the Hipstamatic app on my Iphone to take a picture, because I don't want anybody to see how awful it really is. 

I am planning to slipcover it in some sort of white fabric, so that I can just bleach the stains out.  This room is next on my project list, after the boys' room is closer to finished-- but I think that I will head to the Home Depot tomorrow for a drop cloth to tuck on top until I can get the sewing done-- I cannot take the hideousness (is that even a word?) for another day.  But it might (might!) look cute in the end. 

Maybe?

2 comments:

Joy said...

I can't wait to see it finished. You have such a great eye for that stuff that I'm sure you'll pull it off. ;)

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

If anyone can do it, you can my resilient friend!